When your scalp is neither excessively dry nor oily (or maybe you just want to know what on earth all these shampoo types mean), you can choose whatever shampoo fits your desired results:
- hydrating/moisturizing shampoo: great for adding moisture, shine, and smoothness to hair. Good for thick, curly, or coarse hair that lacks moisture.
- Volumizing shampoo: excellent choice if your hair is fine or limp for an extra boost without weighing the hair down.
- Strengthening/fortifying shampoo: good for damaged, over-processed, highlighted, weakened, or brittle hair. Usually contains extra protein to improve hair’s condition.
- Balancing shampoo: typically a nice middle-of-the-road option. Not too moisturizing, but won’t dry your hair out.
- Smoothing/straight hair shampoo: typically rich with extra moisturizers and smoothing agents that help seal the cuticle and provide a great start for straight and smooth styles.
- Curly hair shampoo: very moisturizing and contains ingredients that reduce frizz without weighing down the curls.